In accordance with subparagraph 4) of Article 11 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated March 19, 2010 "On State Statistics", the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan DECIDES:Footnote. Preamble as amended by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 03.03.2018 No. 105 (shall be enforced ten calendar days after the day of its first official publication).
1. To approve the attached Rules and timing of national censuses.
2. Recognize as invalid:
1) the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated November 15, 2006 No. 1081 "On approval of the Rules and terms for conduct of agricultural census" (CAPG of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2006, No. 42, Art. 459);
2) paragraph 5 of the amendments that are made to some decisions of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, approved by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated March 25, 2008 No. 283 "On amendments and additions to certain decisions of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan" (CAPG of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2008, No. 16, article 149);
3) paragraph 10 of the amendments that are made to some decisions of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, approved by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated June 18, 2010 No. 613 "On amendments to some decisions of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan".
3. This decree enters into force ten calendar days after the date of the first official publication.
Prime-Minister of the
Republic of Kazakhstan
by the decree of the Government
of the Republic of Kazakhstan
dated October 11, 2010 № 1049
Rules and timing of national censuses
Footnote. The Rules as amended by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 03.03.2018 No. 105 (shall be enforced ten calendar days after the day of its first official publication).
1. General Provisions
1. These Rules and the timing of national censuses (hereinafter referred to as the Rules) are developed in accordance with subparagraph 4) of Article 11 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated March 19, 2010 "On the State Statistics", subparagraph 12) of Article 5 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated July 8, 2005 “On state regulation of development of the agro-industrial complex and rural territories” and determine the procedure and timing for conducting national censuses.
2. The following concepts are used in these Rules:
1) primary statistical data - the data received or registered in statistical forms;
2) a specially created commission - a commission established to resolve organizational and instructional issues related to the preparation and conduct of the national census;
3) agricultural census - statistical observation, which includes the process of collecting, processing data on the structure and condition of agriculture, analyzing and disseminating aggregated data;
4) the authorized body in the field of state statistics (hereinafter - the authorized body) - the state body exercising management, as well as inter-sectoral coordination in the field of state statistics within its competence;
5) instructor-supervisor - a person exercising control over the completeness of coverage of census areas;
6) respondent - an individual or legal entity and its structural and separate subdivisions that provide data on the object of statistical observation in accordance with the statistical methodology;
7) census personnel - persons involved by the authorized body in the conduct of the national census in the manner prescribed by these Rules;
8) statistical form - a form of a statistical document (form, reporting form, questionnaire, census form and other forms) on paper or electronic media, designed to receive or register primary statistical data in the prescribed manner;
9) interviewer - a person who interviews respondents and households when conducting nationwide statistical surveys and national censuses;
10) national census - a specially organized statistical survey, including a population census and an agricultural census, conducted by an authorized body outside the plan of statistical work by the decision of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
11) population census - statistical observation, which includes the process of collecting, processing of demographic, economic and social data characterizing the respondent as of a certain point in time, analyzing and disseminating aggregated data.Footnote. Paragraph 2 as amended by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 29.12.2018 No. 909.
2. Procedure for conducting national censuses
3. National censuses include the population census and the agricultural census.
4. National censuses are conducted by:
1) filling in the census questionnaires by interviewing the respondent with an interviewer using a tablet or paper (if it is not possible to use tablets);
2) filling in the census questionnaires by respondents in electronic form via the Internet in online mode.
5. The national census includes preparatory, main and final periods.
6. The preparatory period is carried out within 2 (two) years.
7. During the preparatory period, the authorized body implements the following activities:
1) development of an action plan for conducting a national census;
2) development and approval of the procedure for conducting a pilot census, census questionnaires, methodological tools for conducting a national census, as well as the development and approval of joint acts on interaction with state bodies;
3) organizing work on the development of information and communication infrastructure facilities, preparing training programs for the national census, as well as organizing training seminars for census staff;
4) carrying out, together with the relevant state bodies, commissions, census personnel, of mass explanatory work among the population about the goals and procedure for conducting a national census;
5) selection of census staff and conclusion of agreements with them for participation in the national census in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
6) approval of the calculation of the number of interviewers and the cost of their services when conducting national censuses under a contract for the provision of services for a fee in accordance with the budgetary legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
7) determining the procedure for involving persons as interviewers in the conduct of national censuses.
For the efficient conduct of national censuses, there may be additional measures: testing of census questionnaires, approbation of the organization of conducting and processing the received data, formation, clarification, as well as submission to the authorized body of lists of subjects of the agricultural census by akimats of regions and cities of republican significance by conducting a pilot census by decision of the authorized body.Footnote. Paragraph 7 as amended by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 29.12. 2018 No. 909.
8. During the main period, the authorized body implements the following activities:
1) a survey by interviewers of respondents with entering the information received into the census sheets;
2) organization by the census staff after the end of the survey of a selective control round of respondents with a coverage of at least 10% to determine the reliability of the data of the census forms and the completeness of the coverage of respondents;
3) organizing the transfer of the received primary statistical data from the respondent by the interviewer to the authorized body;
4) organizing the entry of census questionnaire data into the information system as they become available.
9. The final period is carried out within 2 (two) years. In the final period, the authorized body is implementing the following activities:
1) summarizing the results of the national census;
2) formation and publication of the results of the national census in the form of summary data.
10. In addition to the main questions, additional ones necessary for studying the socio-economic situation of a region or country can be included in the census sheets.
It is not allowed to include in the census sheets questions, the answers to which contain information related to state secrets, commercial or other secrets protected by law, infringing or violating the rights and freedoms of a person and a citizen.
11. Census forms are filled in the state or Russian languages according to the forms approved by the authorized body.
12. The processing of information contained in the census forms is carried out in conditions that ensure their protection from unauthorized access and prevent their theft, loss, forgery or other distortion.
13. Entries in the census forms are made on the basis of information that is reported orally or in writing by the respondents without their documentary confirmation.
14. Primary statistical data received from the respondent in the census questionnaires are not subject to dissemination without his consent and are used only for statistical purposes in a consolidated anonymized form.
15. Collection of primary statistical data not provided for in the census forms is not allowed.
16. When conducting national censuses, the coordination of the activities of central and local executive bodies may be assigned by the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, both to the authorized body and to a specially created commission, with the definition of their powers.
3. Frequency and timing of national censuses
17. An agricultural census is carried out at least once every ten years, and a population census is carried out at the time of the next round of world censuses.
18. The decision to conduct national censuses, indicating the timing and specifics of their conduct, including how long the census will be conducted, is taken by the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan at the proposal of the authorized body.
4. Summarizing the results of national censuses and publishing them
19. The received primary statistical data during national censuses are processed by the authorized body.
Primary statistical data obtained from national censuses on paper are stored for at least a year from the date of official publication of the results of national censuses. Electronic media containing primary statistical data are stored for at least fifty years.
The results of national censuses are subject to official publication on electronic and paper media.Footnote. Paragraph 19 as amended by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 29.12.2018 No. 909.